Sunday, January 27, 2008

Demolition and Dirt Boogers

Soo...here's pictures of 2 weekends of Demolition. Enjoy!
DEMOLITION ROUND #1

Well.. my camera was too cold to take a picture when we got in the house and it was 39 degrees, so I had to wait for it to warm up for about 4 hours before I could take a picture of how cold it is in our house!!!! We were both wearing 3 layers of clothes (thick ones!!), pounding at the tile and cement wall and we were still FREEZING cold!!!!

Some of the damage from day one. This is the 50 year old, non-functioning, and VERY unsafe heater in the house. It will be gone ASAP!

Some of the wreckage in the master bedroom.. wood from the shelves, ceramic pieces from the heater, nasty middle school boys bathroom style sink (YUCK!) and stinkin heavy pieces of cement wall.

More damage in the master bathroom, including the pipes that should have no water in them yet are leaking...hmm.


Caleb, probably early in the day, because we were definitely not that chipper by the days end.. We have a newfound appreciation for manual labor!

Me, cute pink gloves and ugly goggles included! You should be glad I took the face mask off! I figured with all the labor and nastiness I would be surrounded by, I could at least have an ounce of cuteness with pink gloves! Somehow it makes working a bit more motivating!

Caleb's sister Emily had to get in on the action! All the family came over to check out our project and I saw Emily just itching to do something so we gave her the sledgehammer and put her to work!

DEMOLITION ROUND #2

SOooo, this time around we kinda knew what we were getting ourselves into.. we look much less excited, knowing the pain that we are going to cause our bodies because of the work we were about to take on!

We were much smarter today.. See that nifty little tool in my hands?? Yes, my friends that is infact a miniature jackhammer/air hammer with a chisel tip. The force was on our side! Don't be fooled though, that Katie did all that work you see, for Katie could not hold that piece of machinery up for more than 10 seconds!

Demolition in the second bathroom. No more birdbath sink!

Lots of walls gone.. the two bathrooms are connected which made a lot of the work easier in the second bathroom because we could work from the back side of the wall. Leverage, people, leverage!

All in a good days work. We only have about 30% left!

Caleb doing the hard labor in the master bathroom, inhaling a LOT of dust! Oh yea, best part is that we found out the seat in the shower is SOLID CONCRETE. Even the hefty tool we rented couldn't put a dent in that. How are we going to get that out? Well, my friend that is a great question for which we have no answer...

View of the hall bathroom from the master. All the pipes you see are nasty and rotting and ALL have to be replaced. Oh yea, you can pray that we find a plumber since ours quit on us Friday. Lovely... oh well! I guess we will have more time to demo the bathrooms.

More of the master bathroom. Look at all the concrete, tile and dust buildup. That's about 3 inches deep. It would probably be 4 inches but I think we inhaled all that extra inch in our lungs.

See the seat.. solid concrete. That is my new enemy.

But the rest of the shower, we are winning. HA!
Soo, that is our demolition in a nutshell. Now on to the second half of the blog.. you know.. the "and dirt boogers" part of it. Disgusting huh? Well, actually we are quite thankful for the dirt boogers. Why? Well, that means our body is doing its job. Those hairs up your nose do have a job, and the last two weekends we have experienced the joy and nastiness of it. Nastiness because who likes boogers, especially when they are grey and full of gristle. Joy because on some level I (Katie) think its really funny to talk about boogers and even more fun to pick them in the car and make the people (husband included) driving next to you totally disgusted!!! NO... I know what you are thinking now. I properly disposed of all of the boogers that were used to gross out the road neighbors in a tissue... but I did have a good laugh. And once I started calling them dirt boogers, I was so excited about writing the blog because I had a catchy name for the title. And we all know, the title is the first thing a person sees to draw them in to reading a story. Now aren't you all so glad you stuck around to the end so you could see pictures of our progress and enjoy me talking about boogers? Happy Sunday!!! =)

2 comments:

Ashley S. said...

Dirt boogers ARE great! And a great title! I'm so glad to see those horrible pink and aqua tiles being demolished. Horrible.

Anonymous said...

That is just awesome! I had dirt boogers after a long ride on the motorcycle on a windy day not too long ago. I only wish I could have been clever enough to have passers bys watch me pick them! :) Your progress is impressive!