Tuesday, April 29, 2008
1. We found out we couldn't move in on Tuesday of last week and had to pack our whole house in a matter of 3 evenings, with the help of wonderful friends and family, and move into a 16 foot POD. By the way, get one larger than they recommend... My idea of a fully furnished room is apparently much different than PODS.
2. We played Tetris first with our cars to save a spot for the POD on the street on Friday, then with our stuff on Saturday and Sunday, again with the help of wonderful friends and family, so that we could get 95% of our stuff in the POD.
3. We had our floors refinished all last week, and by the absolute grace of God they were finished in spite of the humidity and rain last week.
4. We moved in with Caleb's mom and step-dad for the remainder of the home remodel (hopefully no more than 3 weeks... no offense Frees, but we are ready to be done with the house!).
5. We hired someone to tile the kitchen because there isn't a snowcones chance in Hades that we can get that done ourselves in a timely fashion.
The list really could go on and on, but I won't bore you. Sorry, I don't have any pictures and can't promise that we will have any prior to moving in. Our computer is packed away and in a POD until we move in to the house. That's all I have for now. My brain is fried from a lack of sleep! Love to all who care about enough about the blog to bug me until I update! I hope this was worth it...
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Our home... It looks finished when you look at the front, which makes me happy. It is very deceiving, though...
The hardwoods, after they have been stripped.
Living room view of stripped hardwoods.
One of the bedrooms, hardwoods stripped.
Before they were stripped... look at the lovely star pattern on the floor.
Another view of the hardwoods, before being stripped.
Nita after a hard day of work!
Geary after a hard day of work, smiling on the outside, hating me on the inside. Haha..
Two hard workers, feeling tired and dirty.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
My cute mom painting up a storm!
Caleb, my dad and George putting up backerboard.
Geary, the cabinet painter extraordiare!
Hall bath tile.
Master bath tile.
B-E-A-utiful painted cabinets!
Mendi and I, definitely posing. We don't even have sponges on our rollers. Oh well, we look cute and so does the 50-gazillionth paint color on the walls. =)
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
- First and foremost, that God would continue to be Lord over this project, the timeline and how we "manage" all of our contractors throughout the process
- Pray specifically for tomorrow (April 10th), as Caleb will be working with two guys from 4L Engineering to completely redo all of our duct work. They have been soo wonderful and gracious, with the owner of the company being not only one of Caleb's best friends dad, he's also an Aggie. We really need the duct work done quickly because we did not plan to do any major HVAC work which means we didn't include it in the budget... and with it costing us a lot per hour, the quicker it is done the better. Pray that their work is done very thoroughly, and very swiftly.
- Pray that this weekend would be free of hiccups, and that we can go in to it with all of the supplies we need in order to put a serious dent in the tile work. Ideally, we could completely tile both bathrooms in the course of the weekend. We shall see.. But regardless, we need prayer that our time would be consumed with laying tile rather than making Home Depot and Lowes runs!
- Pray that the weather would cooperate.
- I know this may sound silly, but pray that we could find paint for our house that we like and goes well. I just don't think I would be a good steward of our finances if I kept spending $5 here and $10 there to try out different paint samples, even though I like the paint when it's in the swatch but not on my walls. It is very frustrating!!
- Pray that the Lord would truly guard our finances with regards to the house and that every penny spent would be put to use wisely.
- Pray that we would be good stewards of our time and that we would truly finish the work God began in our lives through the commitments we have through the end of the month.
- Pray that God would provide sweet rest and that the moments we get a chance to stop, that we would be thankful for all of the blessings and that we could find peace and rest in the hope that God is going to carry us through the end of this project.
I am sure that isn't everything, but that is all my brain could handle and all the prayer requests my mind remembered at the moment! Thank you all you wonderful prayer warriors!! We can't wait to show you the fruits of your prayers when this project is complete!
Saturday, April 5, 2008
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
The master bathroom, ready for tile... Does this make anyone want to volunteer to help us tile?? Hehe..
From the left: First inset is the new washer/dryer closet, Second Inset is the space where the fridge will go, Third Inset is the space where the pantry will go
Archway (view from the hallway into the living room and entry way)
Cabinets... LAAAAA! (imagine the sky opening up and beautiful music playing!) I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my new kitchen and can't wait to cook! Who knows what this lady will whip up with all the new inspiration?!?
Two fun things in our home are in the house and make such a difference! It is starting to feel like a home! And we are starting to feel the pressure to get the house done in the next 27 days... AHH! Pray for us as we try to do our best to get this home finished with quality and that the Lord would truly direct the time schedule over the next few weeks and that God would send us contractors who want to work for free, or at least cheap! Here's what is on the books for this weekend:
- This weekend: Painting another coat on the kitchen ceiling, filling all the nail holes in the cabinets, sand all the filled holes, vacuuming the cabinets until they are 100% saw dust free, tape the kitchen, tape the windows, caulk all the corners to prep for paint, seal the room off from the rest of the house, spray the kitchen cabinets (courtesy of our FABULOUS STEP-DAD/FATHER-IN-LAW Geary) with primer and paint... you can pray for hot and dry weather, rip out all the door frames and trim throughout the whole house, finish peeling up the "hopefully not asbestos tile", paint the master bedroom and 3rd bedroom, paint the bathrooms, finish tearing out the wall paneling, take all the paneling out to the garage, fertilize the yard, hope we can revive the grass, spray the kitchen cabinets with final coat (hopefully it will be ready!!!), tear out all of the duct work through the entire house, and not lose our ever loving minds!
Soo, is there anyone out there who watches HGTV like it's going out of style and really want to take a crack at some DIY home improvement? Or even better, we got any closet tile experts willing to sacrifice some time to help us out? We really aren't afraid to be beggers at this point! Haha... I'm kidding, unless you really wanna help! I hope this gives you an idea of the craziness that has ensued at our casa. Well, if I can tell you anything, I will tell you this. None of the pictures I have posted throughout the whole process have done the home justice. The before pictures didn't show how bad of shape the house was in and the after pictures don't show how beautiful the house is now. Hopefully once we are in the house and it is done, we can throw a big party so that you guys can all come see the fruit of the labor of us and our friends and families and everyone we either paid or thanked for their help on our project. It will be all worth it. Well, that's all for my novel this evening. Say a prayer for us as we enter the home stretch!