Friday, May 9, 2008

Houston, We have counters!!!!

What a fun day!!! We got our countertops!! was so interesting watching them do it... So, here's the story. I was told I needed to be at the house between 10 and 11, and that it would take around 3 hours to do the entire install. Well, around 9:45 they called so I raced over there to the house (I was buying plumbing fixtures.. another day!). By 10, I realized I had the wrong faucet and needed to go get a new one. Well, as I was getting my stuff together, I heard the workers talking and it sounded like they were concerned about something, so I glanced out the back door. Lo and behold, I see the guys with my big L-shaped piece on the orange Home Depot-esque 3 section dolly trying to get up the back stairs. They were using one of the guys shoes to protect the granite from the concrete (real reassuring, eh?) and they had the weakest dude trying to hoist the granite and the dolly up the stairs all by himself. In my mind, and of course out loud, I think, "Would you like for me to help you with holding the bottom of the granite so you can get it up the stairs?" Well, as you could probably guess, I got a snicker and a polite, "No mam, we've got this" response from one of the workers. After standing there staring at them while they try to figure this thing out, I figure it is probably better if I just left because I will annoy the tar out of them staring while they try to not break a very expensive piece of stone as they ghetto-rig it up my stairs. They had my number in case it broke while I was out.. Well, luckily, they didn't need it. By the time I came back, they had set all three pieces of stone on top of the cabinets and were getting ready to start cutting the hole for the sink and faucet. It was insanely loud while they cut the sink hole and of course, as a special ed. teacher I began worrying about the state of all of our ear drums and went on an unsuccessful hunt for ear plugs from our tool box. Oh well, I settled for looking like a 2-year old holding my ears closed. About 2 1/2 hours after they started, I had beautiful countertops to enjoy for many years!! Enjoy some pics of their handiwork!


Our countertops and the trusty dolly...
The countertops, view from the dining room.. Notice the faucet to the left of the sink.
Close up of the countertops... New Venetian Gold Granite

Another view of the c-tops and the kitchen.

3 comments:

Ashley S. said...

They look great! Good choice!

Anonymous said...

house looks great guys....sure do like those counter tops!!!!

Jeff

Owner said...

I miss my neighbors!!!!!